#73 Larry Barnett

#73 Larry Barnett

Monday, February 20, 2012

LB begins mentally preparing for Race Day



LB works with Uncle Dale and Cousin Mike's "0" at the Waterford Season opener in 2009. 


In all the excitement and craziness of preparing the race car, it occurred to me I hadn't really talked to LB much about what all of this means to him.  I sat down with him recently and asked him his thoughts. 


KSB: How does it feel to be going from king of the hill to a guy who will have to work hard to qualify for the race?
LB: I am a bit concerned how I will feel about possibly heading home from the races without ever being in contention for the win.  Possibly without even being fast enough to make the race at all!
KSB:  In Race One at Waterford, what is your goal?
LB: I have several goals.  I hope to reach the first and then move on to the next. 
       1. Have car ready in time to compete,
       2. Make it into the event,
       3. Represent sponsors (should we have any) in a professional manner,
       4. Not cause damage to anyone else,
       5. Finish the event able to roll the car into the trailer
       6. Head home smarter, better ready for the next event, 
       7. Smile knowing we had a good time. 

KSB: What are you most looking forward to as you prepare to race in the MRS?
LB: The challenge of setting up a modified.  I have found myself really relying on my crew for their help and expertise assembling the car.  In the past, I have been able to do many things with a car that other "experts" have told me could not work...then drove the car to victory lane.  I hope that holds true someday with the Modified.  I also look forward to learning and working as a team on the car.  Jon, Amy, Kim, Rob, Jimmy and Ron have all been helping as much as they can to get this Modified #37 to the track. 

KSB: What are you most nervous about as you prepare to race in the MRS?
LB: Not being able to afford competitive equipment, and just plain old not being very good at it.  I do feel a bit better knowing that I have felt relatively comfortable each time I have drove a modified in the past (Dale's SK at New Smyrna, Todd Ceravolo's back up car at Thompson).  I also have been a "fast" study in my first events in the past.  I won on my first night of racing at both Waterford and Stafford. 

KSB: You'll be racing in the same series as your Holdridge Family relatives.  What is the most important thing you've learned from Uncle Dale and Cousin Mike as you've helped out on their crew for the past three years?
LB: Just to be a good person, and keep working hard.  Things will work out okay if you do that.  It seems that everyone respects both Dale and Mike on and off the track.  They will both be sources of technical information helping me with my car, and they will continue to be role models in how to conduct myself.  If I can keep Mike in view on the track, I will have had a good day. 
K: Well said, LB. 

No comments:

Post a Comment